So are you wondering what the must-haves are for NYFW? Don’t worry, we’ve sorted through all the options to bring you the things you simply shouldn’t live without.Valentino Gloves, Thierry Lasry Glasses, Maison Martin Margiela Coat ]
Ok girls, so let’s be honest – we’ve all thought about yoga at one point or another. Some of us love it, anddd others kind of don’t see the point. For the record? Those who love it tend to be super, amazingly, inhumanly good at it…just sayin’. And, that’s just not us. Not yet, anyways.
In any case, we got back from holidays at the beginning of January and low and behold, a new yoga studio opened up just next door. How frickin’ convenient right? We had tried plenty of yoga classes, but had never found a way to stay motivated. Here’s a tip, have one open up next door and you’ll really have a hard time finding an excuse.
So, walking past this place day in and day out got us thinking – let’s give yoga another shot. No more crappy excuses not to work out, and MAYBE it might be fun this time. I’m sorry, but having some crazy women push our legs past our ears, or speak in an irritatingly false calm voice is just not our cup of tea. But hey, we believe in second chances.
Fast forward a few weeks and we have a confession to make. We have become utterly addicted. Yes, yes, ADDICTED to yoga. Guess what everyone was saying is true! Of all of us, Marie has become the biggest yogi. In her own words, she needs Hot Hata class. The detoxifying heat (and damn it’s hot!), not only helps you increase flexibility, but it does wonders from stress release and relaxation. Seriously, she can go on and on about the benefits of yoga, but the truth is – it’s really just a good time to get away from daily worries.
If you’re a current yoga fanatic, we can finally say – we understand! If you’re not, and you were as skeptical as us…two words: GO NOW. Seriously. You’ll feel refreshed, energetic. You’ll have less aches and pains. You might not need your morning coffee (don’t quote us on this) and that man of yours? Well, he’ll be saying all types of thank you for your increased flexibility. And as an added perfect, for those of you who are more adventurous…you’ll be able to try tons of positions you never thought you’d reach. Think about it.
WARNING: This can be highly beneficial and seriously addictive.
Oh, and if you’re in the Toronto area? We highly suggest Chopra Yoga…first class is free! xx
Over the past few months, we’ve been hearing so many great reviews about Gusto 101 that opened this past spring in Toronto. We are happy to say these reviews did not disappoint. True to its name (gusto means tasty in Italian), the food tasted authentically Italian with a city twist.
We began with the kale salad and arancimi (rice balls) – They were just as yummy as we hoped. It felt like we were brought back to Sicily!
The Kale salad literally burst with flavours; who would’ve ever thought that the simple mixture of lemon and parsley could be so marvellous for our taste buds.
Our favourite part of Gusto 101? HOME MADE WINE! Guess the price? 1 dollar per ounce and it tasted close enough to a Chateau du Campuget!
We aren’t sure how a restaurant can manage to be both homey and chic at the same time, but somehow Gusto 101 makes it happen.
See for your own and threat yourself to a night out x
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays everyone. We hope that you and your families have a wonderful celebration and we look forward to continue posting on December 27th
We hope Santa was good to everyone this year x
The holiday season can be a challenging, and well, tempting time of year. It can be difficult to stay on track with healthy eating habits, and many people find that by the end of the season, they are tired, worn down, and maybe even a bit heavier than when they started out.
So, we’ve compiled a list of the top 10 tips to survive the holiday season, created by the fabulous Diane [Registered Nutritionist]. These tips will help you stay fresh, alert and most of all, healthy!
- Make sure that you carry water with you at all times. During this busy season, we are often out shopping, running errands, or visiting with friends. If you don’t have water, you can often become sluggish and tired, or worse – you’ll reach for one of those sugary Christmas themed drinks. Water will help keep you refreshed, and help curb cravings.
- Bring your own snacks! Yes, this may seem like a pain – but it can be quite the life saver. If you have your own snacks, you’ll be less likely to reach for something on the go – this means you will be making wiser choices and your body will thank you at the end of the day. Our favourites: almonds, sunflower seeds, kale chips & fresh fruit.
- Do not skip a meal (and that includes breakfast). Skipping a meal will not only leave you feeling tired and imbalanced, but it was also increase your chances of eating unhealthy later in the day. It has been proven that breakfast eaters and people who do not skip meals are more likely to maintain a healthy weight, and are happier overall.
- Never arrive at a party hungry. Now, we all know that those little appetizers at the party are delicious. But if you arrive hungry, you’ll be eating much more than you probably intended to. Instead, have a light meal or snack prior to your events, to help you keep your appetite (and cravings) in line.
- Use a smaller plate and eat slowly. The smaller your plate, the less food you can pile on. Also, if you eat slowly, you will ‘fill up’ more quickly, meaning you will want less food. It’s a win-win situation!
- Load up on the greens! That’s right, make sure you are eating lots of veggies and salads while at your holiday events. By filling yourself up with these good foods first, you’ll still have room to sample some of the other treats later, without going overboard.
- Pick and choose. This means, don’t deprive yourself! You deserve to have a little fun. So decide what your fun will be before starting the night. Will it be some wine, or maybe a slice of cake? If you set these goals at the start of the night, you’ll be less likely to indulge. Besides, we believe in the 80/20 rule – 80% of what you eat should be good, healthy and wholesome. The other 20% is your fun food – so go on, live on the wild side!
- Always remember, you do not have to finish your plate. This preset notion that we have is ridiculous, and you’d be better off forgetting it. If you’re no longer hungry, do not feel obligated to keep eating!
- Learn the secrets of food combining. Certain foods, when eaten together can actually cause weight gain and discomfort. So instead, try to eat veggies & protein/meat, OR choose veggies & starches (bread, pasta, etc.). But don’t eat them all together!
- Make a plan for the season, and set realistic goals. Promise to stick to it, and at the end of the day, you will feel much better and proud for making it through.
Remember, surviving the holidays isn’t about deprivation. It’s about balance, and making smart choices. So cheers to a fabulous holiday season!
* Check out Healthy You Naturally for more fabulous health tips, articles and information from Diane!
It’s the holiday season, and we want to share a little Christmas love. So, help us reach 100 followers on either Facebook or twitter, and one of our lucky followers will receive a fabulous stocking stuffer (as featured in our 12 DAYS ‘TILL CHRISTMAS: STOCKING STUFFERS posts). So far, up for grabs could be: a Missoni stuffed elephant, a Christian Lacroix notebook or perhaps a Tocca fragrance rollerball? Like us or follow us for your chance to win one of these amazing gifts!
Draw will be held: Dec 24 at 5pm EST.
This next stocking stuffer is perfect for anyone on your Christmas list. This Missoni stuffed elephant or bear is not only perfectly adorable, but the proceeds are also donated to OrphanAid Africa. We love both that this little guy is not only gorgeous, but charitable!
DAY 9 – Missoni Stuffed Animal [ $50.00 ] – in stores only
This little stocking stuffer is truly quite the catch. The Dannijo ‘umbilical’ bracelet is colourful and eye-catching, and is sure to be a conversation piece. This easy to wear item can be worn with literally any outfit (though we prefer it paired with all black) and at under $100, it’s quite the steal!
DAY 8 – Dannijo Bracelet [ $98.00 ]